- 225g butter, softened
- 225g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 large Free Range Eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange or two smaller ones
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 10 Mini Loaf Cases
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Whisk the butter, sugar, flour and eggs together in a bowl until smooth, and then transfer half the mixture into a separate bowl.
2. Beat the milk and cocoa powder into one bowl of mixture. Beat the orange zest and juice and the chopped chocolate into the second bowl of mixture.
3. Then drop spoonfuls of the mixture alternately into the loaf cases. Using a fork or a skewer, lightly ripple the mixtures together to create a marble effect. Sprinkle lightly with the extra sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cakes have risen and are firm to the touch. Leave to cool completely before serving.
For a full-sized loaf, use a 900g greased and lined loaf tin and bake at 180ºC, gas mark 4 for 45-50 minutes.
I’ve topped mine with a chocolate ganache frosting using Valrhona chocolate https://inter.valrhona.com/en.